There are a lot of alternative acts I haven’t yet given the proper amount of attention, and the Smiths is one of them. When I saw that Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr was (finally) releasing a solo debut called The Messenger in 2013 more than 25 years after the Smiths disbanded in 1987, I decided to give it a spin, despite not being particularly familiar with his former band’s work. The Messenger is one of my favorite albums of 2013, and “New Town Velocity” is my favorite track on it. It has a grace to it that’s tough to find these days, and it comes in at #4 on my 100 top tracks of 2013 list.
- The Smiths – “How Soon Is Now?” (1984)
- The Smiths – “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986)
- Johnny Marr – “Generate! Generate!” (2013)
- Johnny Marr – “Lockdown” (2013)
- Johnny Marr – “Say Demesne” (2013)
Also, be sure to read Stephen Thomas Erlewine’s review of The Messenger on AllMusic if you are unfamiliar with “New Town Velocity” or Johnny Marr.