Stephen Malkmus is always good for some great quips in his lyrics, but “Actually I’m not contractually obliged to care” in “Chartjunk” is fast becoming one of my favorites. The song itself is one of my favorites, too, on Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks‘ excellent 2014 LP Wig Out at Jagbags — the horns that populate the coda are pretty fantastic. There are still a couple other tracks from the record I like more than “Chartjunk” — which is to be expected since I gave it such a positive review — but it’s still easily one of the Top Tracks of 2014.
- Pavement – “Summer Babe” (1992)
- Stephen Malkmus – “Jenny and the Ess Dog” (2001)
- Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks – “Houston Hades” (2014)
- Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks – “J Smoov” (2014)
- Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks – “Lariat” (2014)
Also, be sure to read Stephen Thomas Erlewine’s review of Wig Out at Jagbags on AllMusic if you are unfamiliar with “Chartjunk” or Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks.